Hanmade in Cornwall

Hanmade in Cornwall

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Hanmade quilt experiment!

Don't you love quilts?! They look so good.
But I haven never done it, it looks abit scary. So I decided to look into it to find out what you need to get started.

I read that you need a machine quilting foot or a darning foot for your machine. Or a walking foot for straight line quilting. I looked into my box and found out that I didn't have either for my sewing machine, doh! But I htought I would take the foot off and give that a try...

So I got to my machine, took the foot off, put the feed dogs down and started stitching. It was working! I sandwiched some wadding inbetween two pieces of scrap fabric. I tried different patterns and shapes in a continuous line. I was so chuffed it was working!

Below is the front of the fabric and then the back .





 
A few things I learnt whilst doing this...
 
It needs alot of practice and practice before you practice!
 
Go slow and steady - this is abit tricky, you don't want to go too fast but you need to be steady and consistant with the stiches
 
You go through alot of thread, get prepared and have a few spools of thread all ready
 
If you are just starting out, start off with a small quilting project. I can imagine a big piece would takes ages
 
Baste the wadding and fabric sandwich before you start, so that none of the fabric moves when you start quilting. Either safety pin or small stitches
 
But watch out...It can be addicitve!
 
Eek its exciting! I am going to do a small quilting project before I attempt a quilt.
 
Go on give it a try and see how you get on.
Let me know what quilting projects you try!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment