So I am going to cook chilli con carne. Heres my recipe:
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g/1lb 2oz good-quality beef mince
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 heaped tsp chilli powder
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 400g/14oz can red kidney beans, drained
- 2 x 400g/14oz cans chopped tomatoes
- To serve
- Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mince and fry until golden-brown all over.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over a medium to high heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and peppers and fry until softened.
- Add the chilli powder, cumin and cinnamon and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fry for a further 4-5 minutes, stirring well.
- Remove the mince from the pan using a slotted spoon and add to the vegetable mixture.
- Add the drained kidney beans and the chopped tinned tomatoes and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering, then half-cover the pan with a lid and simmer for about an hour, stirring every now and again to stop it from catching on the bottom of the pan.
- To serve, ladle the chilli into four serving bowls. Drizzle over the soured cream. Sprinkle with the chopped coriander. Garnish with the lime wedges and serve with nachos alongside.